Thursday, December 2, 2010

Game plan update

I believe effort is tied to achievement and so far I have met the goals I've set. I have learned and still learning how to utilize technology to differentiate instruction while keeping the student engaged in meaningful lessons. What I have learned so far is the more you integrate technology uniquely into my lessons. The more my students what to learn and be very engaged. Well my current need is more time, I have setting up a social networking site for my students to discuss the beauty of science. Not all my students have access to a computer, so this is going to be a challenge. I have directed them to the school and local library, however most 12 to 13 years old are very lazy and stubborn at times. Does anyone have idea on how I can get around this crucial problem?

3 comments:

  1. Alshaheed,

    One suggestion of advice is that students will only do something if there is some type of motivation. Unfortunately, sometimes a grade isn't motivation enough. However the up side to this is that if the motivation is great enough, then they will find a way to be a part of it. The key is that you need to make your social networking so inspirational and intriguing that students want to contribute on their own. I guarantee that if you find a way to appeal to the students, that your students without internet access will find a way to join in. It's not that 12 and 13 year olds are lazy, it's that they are selective.

    Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alshaheed,

    Some of your students who do not have computers may have smart phones that they can use to access the site. Otherwise, try and think of how you can make computers more accessible to your students at school. If you have some classroom computers that will help. You could allow students to use the classroom computers if they finish their other work up early. You could also have your classroom computers available for students to use during lunch or after school for at least 1 or 2 days/week. I usually ate lunch in my room or the room next door to mine and if my students needed a computer to finish up class work I would allow them to use my classroom computers during lunch (they just weren't allowed to have food at the computer with them).

    Laura Ricker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Laura and Charles, both of you are correct. We have a mobile lab in our department and I have reserved it for several days. I have more students participating in morning and afternoon tutoring since the change, so the cpu usage has increased. Thank you both for your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete